Sunday 8 March 2015

Pfffff.....

Anyone arriving here this morning from Facebook will notice a running theme to my posts there.

International Women's Day? Yeah right.

Around the world women are still second class in most places. We still don't even have equality in the "enlightened" west.

In the oh so modern United States: The median annual earnings of women 15 or older who worked year-round, full time in 2013 was $39,157. 
In comparison, the median annual earnings of men were $50,033.

Read more: Women by the Numbers http://www.infoplease.com/spot/womencensus1.html#ixzz3TneVlp7V




But never forget that John was a shithead to women too.

I am one of the lucky ones. My life is exactly what I want it to be. I have a good man and we are equals in our relationship, and the situation here in Canada suits me. As I am self-employed the impact of unequal pay doesn't affect me. My sons are respectful but they don't treat me as a delicate object. I have achieved, in my own life, exactly what every woman deserves.

I am in a minority.

What can be done about this?

Well, it's a human rights issue. It is fair to say that men aren't always treated well either, and we must never forget that. But all the time they make up anything over 50% of any power structure, there will never be equality.

http://www.ipu.org/wmn-e/classif.htm

Some people criticize the focus on women's rights, due to this. The fact is, if women's rights are met, everyone benefits. It's as simple as that. There is no downside to giving women equality. The only group who stand to lose out are the men in power. And they have no plans on giving up that power, you see.

What the hell is going on? Are we not past this?

No.

It isn't always violence and workplace slavery. Most of it is more subtle, but that's why it's so insidious.

“When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch.” 
― Bette Davis

It was noticed a long time ago.

“Do you really believe ... that everything historians tell us about men – or about women – is actually true? You ought to consider the fact that these histories have been written by men, who never tell the truth except by accident.” 
― Moderata FonteThe Worth of Women: Wherein Is Clearly Revealed Their Nobility and Their Superiority to Men

I have very little hope of it ending anytime soon. I try to do my bit, to educate, even to shock. I still, regularly, run into educated women who are surprised at how they are perpetuating the inequality. They are horrified when they realise it. I've been there.

We have much left to do, please do everything you can to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment