Tuesday 13 October 2015

The Covering Issue, Potato Edition

Yesterday was Thanksgiving in Canada. We had roast potatoes. Most people had mashed potatoes.

Why did we have roast potatoes? Because that's what I serve with roast meat. I have nothing against mashed potatoes, in fact I love them. But to me they don't go with roast meat. To me they are a pedestrian, weeknight, common or garden dish that goes with cheaper, more ordinary foods.

To me, a roast dinner is a special thing, be it an "occasion" or not, so I serve a posher potato. I have no problem with you having mashed potatoes, so long as you have no problem with me having roast potatoes.  It's all potatoes. If I come to your house, I'll eat mashed potatoes with a good grace.

And I voiced this, foolishly, outside my comfort zone of MY blog, MY Facebook page, the groups I belong to and so on. I voiced this as an analogy to women's clothing choices, and even more so the concept of choice in general. I thought it was a really good analogy, nothing anyone could get offended about.

You won't believe this. Ready?

I was told that it was "roasted" potatoes, not roast.

I was told that roast potatoes were easier and cheaper than mashed.

I was told that I was a snob because I said that roast potatoes were posher.

I wasn't even talking about potatoes.

I said, right at the start, that it was an analogy. I got into a more convoluted and NASTY argument than any I'd ever had while not using an analogy. In future I will avoid such analogies, because it's way too much of a hot potato.

1 comment:

  1. There is a saying that is quite on the nose: You just can't win for losing. Potatoes or not, apparently. ;) ~ Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete